Student FAQs-Fall 2020

August 17, 2020

What is the CCC face covering policy?

Beginning Aug. 1, all Central Community College faculty, staff, students and visitors (including contractors, vendors and guests) will be required to wear a face covering when inside any of CCC’s campus buildings or center spaces owned or leased by CCC. This includes, but is not limited to, common areas, classrooms, restrooms, breakrooms and hallways. A limited number of disposable masks may be available, but individuals are encouraged to provide for and regularly clean their own reusable covering. Acceptable face coverings include masks, gaiters, face shields, and bandanas. While wearing masks is encouraged at all times, the following provides a list of limited exceptions:

  • When eating, drinking or washing face.
  • When in an office or workspace where at least six feet of social distancing can occur.
  • When alone in a college vehicle.
  • When an alternative is necessary as indicated by a medical professional.
  • When exercising or during a college-sponsored activity where use is not practical.
  • When in one’s assigned residence hall room.
  • When directed to or given permission by a college official to remove face covering or by faculty member per course/classroom requirements.

This requirement will be in place until such time as directed by the COVID-19 response team. Violations of the face covering requirement may be addressed through the CCC student conduct process.

How will my classes be delivered?

CCC offers a variety of course delivery modes to meet a wide variety of learning styles. All of the following delivery methods will be used for the fall 2020 semester.

Lecture courses meet in groups at specified times with specific start and end dates. CCC also offers lecture courses that may include students at other locations. These courses are delivered using the college Internet video system which is referred to as “on-site live video” method.

Online courses are available via the Internet using computer technology with set due dates, required and regular (minimum weekly) substantive interactions. Online courses may require proctored exams. Asynchronous online courses are instructed through regular (minimum weekly) substantive interactions, activities, and assignments. Synchronous online courses require attendance via the internet at a specific date/day/time, regular (minimum weekly) substantive interactions, activities, and assignments.

Hybrid courses offer students a course experience with both online and lecture components, which are described above.

Practical and science lab instruction permits students to progress under the close supervision of instructors. This type of instruction gives students the opportunity for personal attention from instructors and hands-on experience in learning labs.

Clinical rotation courses provide clinical experience where students are observed/critiqued on execution of specific skills while working side-by-side with a faculty member.

Independent study courses provide students one-on-one style instruction with arranged meeting times with an instructor.

Cooperative education courses provide students planned course outcomes to gain specialized skills through an internship or on-the-job training overseen by college staff and faculty.

Contact your academic advisor if you have questions about your fall schedule.

How do I get my books?

The campus bookstore will reopen Monday, Aug. 3. Follett bookstores strongly encourage students to order course material online before arriving to campus. Course materials, clothing, and gifts that are available at the store are also available on the Follett Bookstore website for shipping or in-store pick up. 

What will happen to my classes if I am exposed to or get COVID-19?

If the student who is ill or has been exposed will be unable to complete assignments or coursework due to extensive time away from instruction, the associate dean of students, in collaboration with instructors, will assist the student in pursuing a leave of absence, an incomplete or other arrangements as needed or as determined by instructor recommendations.

What happens to my lecture/lab/clinical class if the campus closes again?

Our faculty are prepared for a normal semester, while knowing that unexpected changes may occur. Should the need arise to limit access to CCC buildings, faculty and administrators will work with students to ensure that they can complete all course requirements. If your course(s) will be impacted, you will be notified through your official CCC email/course announcements. It is important to communicate with your instructors should any change in course delivery methods occur.

What happens if I have to drop all of my classes due to COVID-19? 

If you believe you need to withdraw due to the pandemic, please contact your academic advisor and the financial aid office immediately to discuss options. A complete withdrawal may result in mandatory repayment of some financial aid. 

What if I am exposed to coronavirus?

If you think you have been exposed to COVID‑19 and develop a fever and symptoms, such as cough or difficulty breathing, call your healthcare provider for medical advice. You may also access testing resources through the Test Nebraska website. If you need to self-report or need general information about COVID-19, call 2-1-1 or the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services COVID-19 Information Line at 402-552-6645. Students who are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, have tested positive for COVID-19 or believe they have been exposed to COVID-19, are expected to confidentially report this information to the dean of student success. Students may also notify CCC through the CCC CARE Team Reporting Form and/or your instructors. You will be contacted about next steps.

Is student housing available for the fall 2020 semester?

Yes, student housing is available on the Columbus and Hastings campuses. Move in day is Sunday, Aug. 16. Check your CCC email for details about assigned move in times and other details. Residents and guests and will be required to wear face coverings during move-in day.

Is there any funding available for students with COVID-related financial issues?

There may be some grant funding available early in the fall semester for special COVID related circumstances. Please watch your CCC email for information about application opportunities, or contact financial aid. Funding is limited and will be awarded on a first come, first served basis. 

My financial aid eligibility was based on my family’s 2018 income. Is there anything that we can do when I or my parent loses a job due to COVID-19?

Yes, there is. If an independent student loses employment or if the parent of a dependent student loses employment due to COVID-19, please contact the Financial Aid Office right away to explain the situation. They have the ability to take a look at projected year income and compare it to the 2018 income and see if the reduction in family earnings could result in a better financial aid package. Only a financial aid director can make that “Professional Judgment”, so please contact the Financial Aid Director at any of the CCC campuses to find out what needs to be done.

I’m worried about not meeting the required standards of academic progress because I might have to take more online classes. What happens if I can’t maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA or complete 67 percent of all my registered credits?

Students receive one semester of warning if they fall short of the academic progress requirements as long as the student has successfully completed at least one class. Your financial aid director can talk to you about the best course of action to return to good academic standing and not jeopardize any future financial aid eligibility. 

Has anything changed regarding food service?

Dining – Chartwells remains open to residential and non-residential students and guests. The following guidelines are for all patrons:

  • All food will be staff served and there will be no self-serve options, including condiments.
  • Patrons will be handed cups for beverages.
  • There will be an increase of grab-and-go options.
  • Phone ahead ordering is encouraged to reduce foot traffic in serving areas.
  • For catering service, all buffets will be staff served and boxed meals will be available.

What student services and resources are available to me, either in-person or online?

Counseling Services

Food Pantry Order Request Form

In-Person and Online Tutoring

Student Services

Student Resources

If you have further questions or need additional clarification, please contact:

Dean of Student Success: Dr. Beth Przymus at 402-562-1284 or via email.

Associate Dean of Students-Columbus: Dr. Beverly Lahlum Taylor at 402-562-1405 or via email.

Associate Dean of Student-Hastings: Sean Griffin at 402-461-2185 or via email.

Associate Dean of Students – Grand Island: Michelle Lubken at 308-398-7541 or via email.


Financial Aid Director – Columbus: Lisa Gdowski at 402-562-1237 or via email.

Financial Aid Director – Hastings: Michele Schroer at 402-461-2413 or via email.

Financial Aid Director – Grand Island: Hylee Horner at 308-398-7555 or via email.