Central Community College is one of six community college areas in Nebraska. This structure was the result of 1971 state legislation that formed the six areas and required that all counties in the state become part of one of the community college areas.
Funding for the college is provided by property tax levied within CCC's 25-county service area, state aid, tuition and fees, grants and other sources.
The college is governed by an 11-member Board of Governors that is elected by the voters in the 25-county service area. The area is comprised of five districts, each represented by two board members. The eleventh board member is an at-large position.
The Hastings Campus, located on the site of a former naval ammunition depot, opened in 1966 as Nebraska’s first multi-county vocational-technical college.
The Columbus Campus, originally known at Platte Junior College, opened in 1969 as Nebraska’s first county-supported community college.
The Central Administration was located in Grand Island in 1974.
The Grand Island Campus was established in 1976.
The Kearney Center began in 1958 as a practical nursing education program sponsored by Kearney Public Schools and later became part of Central Community College.
The Lexington Center was established in 1977 to extend educational services to a four-county area.
The Holdrege Center opened in 1995 to enhance educational services provided by CCC in the southwest quadrant of its service area.
As part of its 40th anniversary celebration in 2006, CCC published Central Community College: A History, 1984-2005, edited by college retirees John Dobrovolny of Hastings and Dave Fulton of Columbus. It continues the work done by Oriel Kinley in Central Community College: the First Two Decades, published in 1984.