TRIO Application Request

Independent or Dependent Student

For students who are classified as Independent students—this means the student meets one of the following criteria:

  1. is 24 years of age or older by December 31 of this year;
  2. is an orphan or ward of the court or was a ward of the court until you reached the age of 18;
  3. is a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States;
  4. is a graduate or professional student;
  5. is a married individual;
  6. has legal dependents other than a spouse; or
  7. is a student for whom a financial aid administrator makes a documented determination of independence by reason of other unusual circumstances.

All other students are considered Dependents. Usually these students are claimed, or are eligible to be claimed, on their parent’s income tax return.

Independent or Dependent Student

TRiO Staff 

The TRiO coordinator on the campus you plan to attend will immediately begin working with you to help you succeed in college. Contact the TRiO coordinator on your campus for assistance with your questions. 


Eric Lopez
SSS Coordinator
P.O. Box 1027
4500 63rd St.
Columbus, NE 68602

Grand Island

A.J. Hodtwalker
SSS Coordinator
P.O. Box 4903
3134 W. Hwy Highway 34
Grand Island, NE 68802


Tara Bialas
SSS Coordinator
P.O. Box 1024
East Highway 6
Hastings, NE 6890

TRIO Director 

Krynn Larsen
Trio Director
P.O. Box 1027=
4500 63rd St.
Columbus, NE 68602

TRiO/Student Support Services is funded under the U.S. Department of Education and Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965.