Dual Credit High School Students Disability Services

What’s the Difference?

Differences between high school and college disability services

Equal access to education is your right. The Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) applies to high schools. Postsecondary Institutions, like Central Community College, must comply with the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act (ADAAA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. What’s the difference?

Central Community College is required to

  • Make all programs and services physically accessible to all students
  • Provide certain accommodations and services to ensure the participation of students with disabilities in college classes and activities
  • Accommodate the participation of qualified students with disabilities in college classes and activities on an individualized basis

Central Community College is not required to

  • Provide specific auxiliary aids if equal access can be accommodated in another manner
  • Provide academic modifications if these modifications would fundamentally altar the nature of the course or program
  • Diagnose a disability or conduct testing and assessment of learning difficulties and physical or mental impairments
  • Provide personal attendants • Provide personal or private tutors
  • Prepare Individualized Education Programs (IEPs)


Referral/Disclosure/Accommodation Plan

Referral and or Disclosure may come from the high school, the student, or an appropriate delegate for the student. The latest existing IEP/MDT or 504 plan will be submitted to Central Community College Disability Services. Students should submit to the CCC campus where they will be taking their classes. Disability Services will work with the student and the high school support individuals through an intake meeting. This meeting will also include the sharing of information such as pre-enrollment assessment scores and other disability documentation. This meeting will help disability services to better understand the student and his/her disability, and the current accommodations being utilized in the high school setting. The process of accessing services at Central will also be explained, including what accommodations are available at a postsecondary institution.


Disability Services will ensure appropriate accommodations are available to the student as dictated by the student’s documentation and the intake process. Questions and requests for revision of accommodations can be communicated to Disability Services by the student throughout the semester.


Columbus Campus

CoLynn Paprocki

Grand Island Campus

Kim Ottman

Hastings Campus

Shannon Peterson