Veteran and Military Resources

A guide to services and resources available to veterans and military members

Veteran and Military Health Care resources

National Resource Director 

VA Nebraska-Western Iowa Health Care System 

Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center
This program, administered jointly by both the Department of Defense and the Department of Veterans Affairs, has a mission to "serve active duty military, their dependents and veterans with traumatic brain injury through state-of-the-art medical care, innovative clinical research initiatives and educational programs."

Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers (VA Medical Centers)
The VA's main website for veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. You can locate your local VA office or hospital through this website.

Department of Veterans Affairs Veterans Center Readjustment Counseling Service (VetCenter)
These centers, which are often staffed by veterans, are located throughout the country and provide a variety of services including counseling to veterans and their families.

Suicide Prevention Hotlines

  • VA Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) Vets: press '1' for assistance.
  • RCS Combat Call Center: 877-WARVETS (1-877-927-8387).
  • Readjustment Counseling Service - Provides 24-hour, seven-days-a-week referral services to all veterans, their families and any concerned citizens who are trying to assist veterans.

National Center for PTSD
The mission of the National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is to advance the clinical care and social welfare of America's veterans through research, education and training in the science, diagnosis and treatment of PTSD and stress-related disorders.

International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
ISTSS is an international multidisciplinary, professional membership organization that promotes advancement and exchange of knowledge about severe stress and trauma.

Military OneSource offers 12 counseling sessions per issue to all service members and their families regardless of their status (guard, reserve or active duty). Military OneSource also offers educational materials and services for everyday life.

Primary websites for Armed Forces

Marine for Life
Marines helping other Marines transition to civilian life. Its services are for all Marines (including injured Marines) and their families as well as Navy personnel who served with or in direct support of Marines. 

Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center
Administered jointly by both the Department of Defense and the Department of Veterans Affairs, the center’s mission is to “serve active duty military, their dependents and veterans with traumatic brain injury through state of the art medical care, innovative clinical research initiatives and educational programs."

Housing and Mortgages for Veterans
A comprehensive consumer guide on housing and mortgages for veterans and active military. It covers VA loans and their benefits, how to apply for one, special protections against foreclosure, etc.

State Veterans' organizations

The American Legion - Department of Nebraska
PO Box 5205
200 N. 56th St.
Lincoln, NE 68505-0205 
Phone: 402-464-6338 
Fax: 402-464-6330

Veterans of Foreign War - Department of Nebraska
PO Box 4552
Lincoln, NE 68504 
Phone: 402-464-0674 
Fax: 402-464-0675
Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Disabled American Veterans - Department of Nebraska
2533 N. 83rd St.
Lincoln, NE 68507 
Phone: 402-570-3418 
Fax: 402-421-7137

Military Order of the Purple Heart - State Commander
450 Conestoga Ave.
Hickman, NE 68372 
Phone: 402-792-2144

AMVETS - Department of Nebraska
PO Box 4263
Lincoln, NE 68504
Phone: 402-464-0674

Employment for Veterans

The Career and Employment Services offices on the Columbus, Grand Island and Hastings campuses provide job-seeker services to students, alumni and employers. Current students and alumni have access to these services. Employer services are available to employers who register through this site. All memberships are subject to the approval of the Career and Employment Services committee. For questions, please see the Career and Employment Services page to contact campus staff.

Nebraska Department of Labor 
The Nebraska Department of Labor provides specialized services to men and women in the U.S. Armed Forces who have bravely served our country. Career Centers have specially trained veterans staff to assist other veterans with employment and training opportunities.

GI Jobs
Your guide to post-military success. GI Jobs magazine is the premier publication for military transitioners. It provides information about education, transition assistance and job opportunities for military transitioners looking for careers and employment.

Military OneSource (Leaving the Military) 
Military OneSource provides Information about some key things to consider when re-entering civilian lives and careers.

Got Your Six
In military, like a clock, 6 o'clock is directly behind you; "Got Your Six" means "Got Your Back." The Got Your Six organization focuses on "six pillars" of veteran re-integration into civilian life, including jobs and careers. 

Military-to-Civilian Resume Builder
This service is provided in association with the Hiring Our Heroes initiative.

National Resource Directory
The directory includes information about the transition from military to civilian life; Veteran's Job Bank

O*Net Online
Find civilian-comparable careers based on transferable skill sets.

Helmets to Hardhats
Helmets to Hardhats connects veterans into promising careers in construction.

Jobs for veterans, virtual job fairs.

Military Connection
Website dedicated to providing resources, military spouse information, loans, jobs and scholarships for all branches.

USA Jobs
USA Jobs is the federal government's official one-stop source for federal jobs and employment information.

U.S. Department of Labor
The Department of Labor’s Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS) assists veterans, reservists and National Guard members in securing employment.

Guide to Hiring Veterans
This guide is intended to provide employers with valuable information for establishing a recruitment program by quickly connecting to America’s veterans.

Military Spouse and Dependent resources

MyCAA at Central Community College

The Department of Defense has made funds available through the Military Spouse Career Advancement Account program (MyCAA) to help pay for licenses, certifications and associate degrees in high-growth, high-demand, portable career fields. CCC is proud to be a participant in the MyCAA program.

For specific details on the MyCAA program, refer to the official MyCAA website

Getting started

  • Apply for the MyCAA program.
  • Apply for admission to Central Community College.
  • Contact a CCC academic advisor at your campus.
  • When you register for courses at CCC, provide your Tuition Assistance (TA) authorization letter obtained through the MyCAA website.

Department of Defense

Post 9/11 GI Bill Transferability

In addition to the education benefits offered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill, there is a special provision of the program that allows career service members to share their remaining GI Bill education benefits with immediate family members. The key factor is whether or not the member has used any of his or her GI Bill in the past; only unused benefits can be transferred. This means that if the member has used 12 months of his or her GI Bill, then only 24 months of the education benefit remain to be shared.

Service members must meet specific criteria to be eligible to transfer their GI Bill benefits. This includes having at least six years of service and an obligation to serve at least four more. 

Learn more about the rules for

State-Provided Education Benefits

Educational benefits for families – particularly the children of deceased, MIA, POW, and disabled veterans – may be available in some states. has developed an online general summary of educational benefits for veterans, surviving spouses and their dependents.

Learn more about state education benefits.

Additional Resources

This organization provides various kinds of services including brief counseling to veterans and their families if the veteran is still on active duty. Reservists and National Guard personnel can also use this organization if they are still on active duty.

National Military Family Association
For military service personnel and their families.

American Gold Star Moms
Designed for mothers who have lost a son or daughter in the service of our country.

Blue Star Mothers
Designed for mothers who now have or have had children serving in the military. Inc.
Created to support and educate moms, dads, family and friends of Marines through online information, chat rooms and message boards. Also helps parents find local support groups (not online).

Military Family Network
Created to link together community organizations, local governments and businesses with the goal of supporting family members of our armed services.

Designed to improve military quality of life with a wide range of information for troops and families.

Navy Moms Online
For Navy parents.

Our Military Children
For children of deployed National Guard and reserve military.

Proud Army Moms
For Army moms, dads, spouses and kids.