Skip navigation

Financial Aid

Check out the types of financial aid that you can apply for at CCC.
  • VickiAndStudentWelcome to the Central Community College Financial Aid Office!!  Our office administers Federal financial aid programs (grants, loans, work study) as well as scholarships.

    The information on this website will help you understand the process of applying for financial aid as well as the types of aid you may be eligible for.  Please feel free to contact us directly if you cannot find the answers to your questions here.

    Check your CCC email  frequently. It’s how we communicate with you.

    The following types of aid are available to CCC students.

  • This federal program provides grants to students to help pay college costs. Amounts awarded to students attending Central Community College during the 2015-16 award year range from $626 to $5,775 a year, depending on enrollment status and expected family contribution (EFC). The Pell range for 2016-17 is $598 to $5,815 a year, depending on enrollment and the FAFSA’s results.  

    The EFC is determined by the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

    This federal program provides assistance to Pell eligible students with exceptional financial need as measured by the lowest expected family contribution (EFC). Eligible students attending at least half time are awarded $600 for a full academic year. All eligible students with completed financial aid files by May 1st will be be given priority consideration for FSEOG.

    This state program provides assistance to eligible students with exceptional financial need as measured by the lowest expected family contribution (EFC). NOG awards are funded by the State of Nebraska, and where applicable, other contributing partners.  Eligible Nebraska residents attending at least half-time are awarded $600 for a full academic year. All eligible students with completed financial aid files by May 1st will be given priority consideration for these grants. NOG awards are subject to approval by the Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education.

    This federal program provides low-interest loans to students attending college at least half time. Loan applications are certified by the campus financial aid offices and funded through the Department of Education

    Undergraduate students may qualify for subsidized Stafford Loans, which are based on need. The federal government pays the interest on subsidized loans while students are attending college at least half time. This subsidy continues for six months from the date a student graduates, drops out or drops below half-time enrollment status

    Students may also qualify for unsubsidized Stafford Loans, which are not based on need. The borrower is responsible for the interest under this loan option

    In some cases, a student may have both a subsidized loan and an unsubsidized loan.

    Dependent students in the first year of a program of study may borrow up to $5,500, while second-year students may borrow up to $6,500.

    Students are classified first-year for student loan purposes until earning 30 credit hours pursuant toward an eligible program of study. Independent students may have higher loan limits.

    The maximum amounts undergraduates may borrow during their college program are $31,000 for dependent students and $57,500 for independent students.

    Borrowers are subject to a fixed interest rate of 4.29% for both subsidized and unsubsidized loans first disbursed between July 1, 2015 and June 30, 2016.

    The financial aid office will inform student borrowers of the type of loan for which they are eligible (subsidized, unsubsidized or a combination of the two).

    Students should contact the financial aid office to make sure they have a clear understanding of their own specific loan situation.

    The financial aid director on each campus may refuse to certify a Stafford loan or certify a loan for less than the requested amount. This must be done on a case-by-case basis according to the guidance provided by federal regulations. The reason(s) for the decision will be provided to the student in writing upon request.

    The PLUS program assists parents of dependent students in paying college costs. Loan applications are certified by the campus financial aid offices and funded through the Department of Education.

    Parents are responsible for repayment which begins 60 days after the origination of the loan.

    The yearly loan limit is the school’s financial aid cost of attendance, minus any other financial aid the student plans to receive.

    Borrowers are subject to a variable interest rate with a cap of nine percent. This is also recalculated each year and becomes effective on July 1. The current rate is 6.41 percent.

    About $2 million in aid is awarded annually to Central Community College students through institutional and privately funded scholarships. In addition, Central Community College Board of Governors authorize a number of tuition waivers for each campus. Over $350,000 is awarded annually in scholarships for performance in athletics, the arts, and for special academic achievement. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Director on the campus you plan to attend. 

    The 2017-18 Scholarship Application is available.

    Applying for CCC scholarships

    Don't miss the March 1, 2017 deadline to apply for scholarships.

    The Scholarship Guide is available for more information regarding scholarships we offer. 

    You should also investigate scholarships from other sources. There are lots of hidden gems out there! Your churches, clubs, employers, local communities, and county foundation offices may have scholarships available. Scholarship information is also available through your high school guidance office, public libraries, community groups and scholarship search engines. EducationQuest Foundation has a free scholarships database that you could use as well.

     Please notify CCC’s Financial Aid Office if you receive an outside award. In some cases, we may have to adjust your aid package. These adjustments are made to loans and work-study aid, not grant funds.  

    If you plan to attend summer classes and need financial aid, you will need to have the 2015-16 FAFSA completed. Please keep in mind the following:

    • If you attended school full-time in the Fall and Spring semesters, your Pell Grant eligibility will be exhausted for the summer. If you received a refund from the Fall or Spring semesters, you may want to save some of that to help pay for your summer classes.
    • You must be registered at least half-time to receive student loans. For financial aid purposes, half-time is six credits in the summer.
    • You must be pursuing a degree or diploma from Central Community College to receive financial aid in the summer. If you are taking summer courses to transfer to another institution, we cannot fund you.

    This federal program provides part-time jobs for students demonstrating financial need. Hourly rates must meet or exceed the federal minimum wage. Students must be attending at least half-time and usually work eight to 15 hours a week

    Work-study assignments are typically based on the amount of unmet need, lowest expected family contribution (EFC), date of application and suitability of skills for the position. Final assignment to a Federal Work-Study position requires an interview with the campus work study coordinator and the job supervisor.

    The majority of these jobs are performed on campus for the college. Additionally, there are community service jobs that may be located either on- or off-campus. At least one of these positions is part of the America Reads Challenge, a reading tutoring program for children in grades pre-kindergarten through elementary. Students are encouraged to consider community service work-study jobs whenever possible. 

  • Aid Qualifications

    To be eligible for Federal financial aid you must meet all of these requirements:

    •  Be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national, or eligible non-citizen
    •  Be registered with Selective Service if you are male (see for more information)
    •  Have the ability to benefit from a college education as demonstrated by possession one of the following: (1) a high school diploma, (2) a GED or its equivalent, or (3) a home school completion certificate
    •  Be working toward a degree, diploma, or an eligible certificate program (short-term certificates do not meet the minimum federal requirements)
    •  Be making satisfactory academic progress


    •  You must not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal education loan
    •  You must not have any drug convictions that affect your current eligibility  
  • Contact Us

    • Columbus Campus
      Lisa Gdowski, Director
      Phone/Fax: (402) 562-1290
    • Grand Island Campus
      Hylee Asche, Director
      Phone: (308) 398-7555
      Fax: (308) 398-7407
    • Hastings Campus
      Michele Schroer, Director
      Phone: (402) 461-2413
      Fax: (402) 461-2447

    CCC Area Director of Financial Aid
    Vicki Kucera
    Phone/Fax: (402) 461-2414

    Office Hours:
    Monday - Thursday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    Friday - 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.