The autumn winds are upon us and it is a wonderful time to discover the history of central Nebraska. We will travel and learn about specific gravestones and their meaning as well as the people who once graced our beautiful prairie. We will be traveling to the historical cemeteries of southern Hall and Adams counties. Our facilitator is Michelle Setlik, a member of the Hall County Historical Society board and co-chair of its annual cemetery tours. CODE: 4990 CGE15
Students will meet at Central Community College where they'll receive a packet of information of history of the cemeteries prepared by the Hall County Historical Society. In the past, dowsing rods were shared between the students, but for this tour, we'll make the rods and give one to each participant to avoid sharing. They'll also receive a boxed Juice and breakfast sandwich.
- 8:30 a.m. - Leave from CCC-Grand Island.
- 8: 45 a.m. - Arrive at Cedarview Cemetery, 1051-1127 West Cedarview Road Doniphan NE 68832. Michelle will share information about the history of the massacre of the Campbell graves.
- 9:30 a.m. - Stop at Bosselman’s Center for Coffee/Rest Stop.
- 9:45 a.m. - Depart for Campbell Cemetery. This will be a drive-through stop.
- 10 a.m. - Arrive at Martin Brother Memorial Marker. This is a minimal-traveled road. Participants can step out of the vehicle to stretch their legs and hear a small presentation before driving to Bosselman’s on the interstate for a bathroom break.
- 10:15 a.m. - Travel to Wood River Cemetery.
- 10:30 a.m. - Arrive at Wood River Cemetery.
- 11:45 a.m. - Depart for the Alda Cemetery.
- Noon - Arrive at the Alda Cemetery.
- 12:30 p.m. - Depart for lunch on your own. Try the Chicken Coop, 120 E. Third St.; Coney Island Lunchroom, 104 E. Third St.; Sin City Grill, 410 E. Third St.; The Chocolate Bar, 116 West 3rd Street; or Kinkaiders, 316 N Pine Street.
- 1:30 p.m. - Depart for Grand Island Cemetery
- 3 p.m. - End of tour.