Admissions & Aid
Recommended Assessment and Placement
All certificate, diploma and degree-seeking students, and those enrolling in math, reading, writing, chemistry, physics or English Language Learner (ELL) courses are recommended to take a pre-enrollment assessment.
Prior to Assessing
All students must complete and submit an application to CCC.
All students must make an appointment to take the pre-enrollment assessment at CCC. Call the Assessment Office on the campus you plan to attend to make your appointment. Students should make an appointment at least two days in advance.
- Bring a photo ID. No one will be allowed to assess without a photo ID. Everything else needed for assessing, including calculators, will be provided. Dictionaries and other aids are not allowed.
- Come to your scheduled session well rested and prepared to do your best. Please arrive at least 10 minutes before the scheduled time. Only students are allowed in the assessment center. Out of courtesy for others, family and friends, including children, are not permitted in the assessment center.
- The only electronic devices allowed during assessment sessions are those that have been approved for use by the Disability Services Office. Students found violating this policy will be removed and not allowed to complete the scheduled session.
- Sessions are approximately three and a half hours long, depending on the number of assessments you take. After you complete the assessment, your results will be reviewed immediately and your next steps will be discussed.
The placement assessment is important and can have a major impact on the cost of your education and how long it takes you to complete your program. Assessment scores help to determine your math, reading and writing skill levels. It is strongly recommended that students spend time reviewing before taking the assessment.
The following resources will help you prepare for the pre-enrollment assessment:
- Khan Academy
- Purple Math
- Union Test Prep - arithmetic
- Union Test Prep - elementary algebra
- Union Test Prep - college-level mathematics
Our Skill Builder Workshop is an intensive individualized workshop designed for students who want to achieve a higher score on the assessment or refresh their skills in certain areas. Academic Success Center staff run the workshops, with additional assistance from peer tutors. Workshops are available for math, reading and writing. The cost is $20 per subject.
Re-assessing is appropriate when there is reason to believe that a score obtained from a previous assessment does not accurately reflect the examinee's true level of knowledge or skill. Re-assessing may be appropriate if one or both of these situations apply:
- Factors other than the examinee's ability have influenced the previous result.
- Scores from earlier assessments have expired (scores are valid for three years).
The following re-assessing procedures will be followed at all CCC assessment centers:
- One free re-assessment per student; any additional re-assessments will cost the student $5 per individual area.
- After the first re-assessment, student may ask for additional retakes for a charge of $5 per individual area – if a period of five business days has passed and if they have engaged in a significant intervention which has impacted their relevant knowledge and skills.
- If CCC assessment scores have expired, there is no charge for a re-assessment.